Wednesday, February 8, 2017

THE ART OF BEING THANKFUL


According to the Oxford English Dictionary,the word 'Thanks' is used to show gratitude or appreciation.


 Growing up,one of the virtues  my Dad inculcated in my siblings and I is the art of saying 'thank you' ,showing appreciation  or simply put,the art of being thankful. Whether it is him paying your school fees or a visitor giving you money or  to you receiving gifts,you must be quick to say thank you,call or send a message again to say thanks.It takes nothing to do all this,when I look back in retrospect,I am glad this attribute is now part and parcel of me,to be passed down from me also to my children.

One must learn to say thank you,for instance when you are given a gift as stated earlier ,when people honor your invitation  to an event you invited them for ,when people render help to you in any form.The onus is on you to thank the other person  for the gesture and show appreciation.

Being grateful  goes a long way to show the kind of person one is.Yorubas have an adage that says 'bi aba dupe ore ana,ari omi gba',This simply  means,when you show appreciation or when you are thankful for yesterday's favor,you would surely receive another.

Be that thankful person today.Do not feel entitled,do not feel you are too big to appreciate anyone,even those in lowly positions.It boosts people's  morale,when your driver,cleaner, help  etc,does something,even though they are being paid for the service,a little 'thank you 'will go a long way in motivating them.

No comments: