Wednesday, November 18, 2015

HOW I HAVE BEEN COPING WITH WATER SCARCITY

The most frustrating thing that can happen to one in the house is the lack of water. Like the late Music Legend Fela sang 'water you no get enemy'. I can't state the importance of water enough, is it to bathe, cook, wash, clean and drink(sachet water comes to the rescue here)?It's availability  just too important .


For close to two months now, the water from  water corporation has stopped running. We thought it was the usual few days 'maintenance' thing they do once in a while. Few days run into a week, a week now running close to two months. In my house we resorted to well water, which we draw or pay some young ones around to help us with. It is not the cleanest of waters but we manage. We do not however cook with it, just to clean, flush the toilet and bath. And if we are lucky we get borehole water from our neighbor that has a borehole.

I am mostly frustrated because I have never relied on Government for water for the most part of my adult life until I got married and moved in with my husband, in whose place we pay the Lagos State Water Corporation. In my Dad's house back then,there is a well with a pumping machine in it that pumps water directly to the tank for our use. So your having water or not is left to your discretion.  We utilized electricity if it's  available or  simply put on the generator to pump water.

These days, the way I manage water to clean the kitchen and make sure the house is in order is an herculean task. Our plan is now to store water in a tank my husband got recently, however getting water tankers to fill the tank or sell water to us is far fetching, they are not just available. To say I am tired with this will be putting it mildly, it is high time the Lagos state Government proffered a solution to this. It is so draining and tiring, the money I have expended on buying 'pure water ' to cook is just not funny.

I really wish I will get home today and water is gushing from every tap in the house , that would be my greatest joy.

No comments: