Friday, October 9, 2015

ALARMING SPATE OF ELECTROCUTIONS IN LAGOS-15 YEAR OLD GIRLS DIES YESTERDAY OWING TO ELECTROCUTION

Scene-of-the-incident-Afusat
After the unfortunate tragedy that befell Oluchi Anekwe a 300 level Accounting Student of the University of Lagos who died of electrocution when a cable fell on her inside the school premises.  One would think staff of these electricity distributing companies would be more careful,but no,it seems they are just being careless.

I remember reading about two people who died in the Dopemu Area of Ageg,lagos  just last year as a result of an Electric cable also falling on them.

Just this morning on my way to work and I was listening to the News Headlines on Radio. The Newscaster read from Punch Newspaper that yet another victim, a 15 year old girl Afusat Musa was electrocuted to death yesterday at Ishaga road,Idi Araba Lagos State. The cable that killed the poor girl was said to have been abandoned by the Eko Electricity Distribution Company when they  cut off supply from people owing their bills.

This reminds me of some months back when I got home and panicked as I saw wires lying on the floor, Our security guard wondered why I was startled by the wires and explained to me that Madam 'NEPA' yanked off the wires of those that haven't paid their bills, I remember berating him for not telling the socalled Nepa workers  to  put the wires in a safe place. What if children step on them while playing about in the compound? In fact so many thoughts ran through my head.

That is the level of carelessness that has resulted in the death of many innocent citizens in this country. In a country where there is sanity, the officials will be in court right now answering a case. I just hope the girl's death would be investigated and she would not be allowed to die in vain.

No comments: