Saturday, September 9, 2017

KELEWELE- THE GHANAIAN DELICACY


When my sister tagged me on this post, it quickly took me down memory lane.


This plantain delicacy pictured above is called Kelewele, it is a Ghanaian specialty. Sold in the evenings by a middle aged woman back then in my formative years, we children always queued up by her stall to buy us some.

Older siblings would also give we youngsters money to get some for them too. I always say I am not a fan of plantain, but Kelewele is an exception, it is extremely spicy, like you would have water almost running through your nose while savoring it. The pepper is what makes Kelewele a hit, foodwise. Perhaps yours truly's love for pepper stemmed from eating this as a child? Well, mother was a pepper lover too, so all these factor combined made me a pepper lover.

Back to Kelewele, before I got married and left the neighborhood, the woman relocated back to her native Ghana and I haven't tasted Kelewele as nice as hers in a long time. I even had cravings for it during my pregnancies and was told I can only get somewhere in Oyingbo. I wouldn't mind having a taste of my precious Kelewele, but traveling that far...

Anyway the food was part and parcel of my growing up, the story of my childhood won't be complete without the mention of this late night snack/food.
Photo Credit:@Africanfoodyummy

No comments: