Tuesday, August 11, 2015

VOCABULARY TIME


Hello readers! I  have been inundated privately by several readers to make this Vocabulary time more constant on the blog. I promise I will, thank you for your readership.

Now to the main business, the word focus for today will be *drum roll* is the word INCUMBENT.
On first contact with the word, I thought it only meant a sitting official, e.g a sitting Governor or President. The word was very common and thrown around during the last elections in Nigeria. You hear words like 'the incumbent President will be unseated.'

However, I have come across the word n several articles, used in another context. E.g., It is incumbent upon the students to study well.

So here are the meanings;

1.Incumbent :holder of  an office or position.

2.Incumbent: A duty or responsibility.

You can now add this to your bag of vocabularies,that is if you haven't done that already.Cheers!

No comments: