Tuesday, May 30, 2017

CAN YOU DESCRIBE HOW A YORUBA PERSON LOOKS?


Stereotypes does not only apply to Nigerians, just that we take ours to a whole 'nother' level, like some black Americans would say.


 If i should get a Dollar for every time I hear the statement 'you don't look like a Yoruba girl' I would be a very rich person by now. In the marketplace for instance, Igbo people speak the Igbo dialect to me like no man's business. They end up disappointed when I tell them that i am not Igbo. Some probe further and ask me what part of Nigeria I am from.

I was once on a bike and the Okada man went on about how those Yoruba people are this and that, sigh! I told him I was Yoruba, he said 'na lie, go ask your mama well, na only Igbo dey....'I cut him off, I didn't let him finish, at this point I was irritated.

Pray tell, how do we Yoruba people look? Whether Igbo, Hausa or Ibibio etc we all have the same features. The only ones with distinctive features in Nigeria are the Fulanis and Shuwa Arabs (obvious Arab affiliations)as far as I can see..We are also beautiful black people and we thrive by celebrating one another.

No comments: