Monday, September 7, 2015

E-BOOKS VERSUS REAL BOOKS

I was reading my Macbeth again in my Complete Works of Shakespeare yesterday.And I thought to myself, books are the best things ever. Online publications or books cannot just compare. The joy of flipping through the pages, that sense of ownership that I actually have this book in my house and own it made start having a mental debate in my head. I realized no matter how available books are on the Internet, they can never compare to reading real books.

The smell of books itself is a wonderful feeling that cannot be explained. Marking pages and ticking the last chapter can never be achieved with E-books.I just love books, the physicality of them. I love writing my comments on pages I find intriguing, all these you cannot do with an e-book. There is nothing like flipping through the pages of the book you are reading, I love the exercise.There was a time I stopped taking my Bible to church just because I downloaded a bible app on my Phone. But it just doesn't feel the same.

Books, magazines, Newspapers must not go into extinction. We need them. Our libraries still needs to be stocked with books.

I derived joy as a young girl going to the Library both in the boarding house when my school Library was still functional, till my undergraduate days. During the holidays ,my dad would compel us to go to the library to read, and to think he has a study filled with books at home too. I and my sister would go to a neighborhood library in Oniwaya side of Agege Lagos and spend hours there. The books were not much, but I enjoyed them.

I started buying Magazines like Fame before I became a teenager, City people and Encomium Magazine followed suit, their  prices  did not deter me. What about Hints and Hearts Magazine? How I loved those publications.

 Almost everyone now relies on the internet for their books, magazines ,Text books, Research books etc too. My point is that nothing can ever compare to real books, Let us keep buying books, let our Libraries be filled with books. E-books are nice,but Real books are better.

What do you think about Real books versus E-Books?

No comments: