Wednesday, September 9, 2015

HOW I WITNESSED THE ELECTROCUTION AT UNILAG YESTERDAY-RIP OLUCHI ANEKWE

Oluchi Anekwe, a 300-level UNILAG student was electrocuted to death
I don't even know how to start writing about this tragic incidence.This tragedy is one too many.The fact that I witnessed it live doesn't help matters.I feel jittery,i cannot get the gory scene off my head.It still feels like a dream,like it did not happen and someone has to wake me up and tell me Yesterday evening was just a figment of my imagination.

I had a lecture slated for 6.00pm in school Yesterday and i was so reluctant to go to school.I had  to nudge myself and motivate myself,whle also reminding 'me' of the amount I paid for school fees..so I summoned up courage and all the strength I could muster,headed for the University of Lagos.

I got to class,my colleague put a call through to our Lecturer and the Lecturer apologized and informed us that he would not be able to make that calss.Then everyone started saying they didn't feel like coming to school, they had to push themselves bla bla bla,it seemed as if we all had an omen or a premonition of what was to come.

On our way home, while in my colleague's car, we just saw a fire in front of New hall, a Female residential hostel, of course we panicked, five of us in the car. Then my colleague pointed my attention to a figure burning on the ground, I screamed, We didn't know what to do, the other Students were also helpless, I saw the security men also. I remember I was just screaming that where are the fire fighters in school. We didn't know if we should turn back or just keep driving, I was scared the wires sparking  might fall on the car. It was a crazy moment ,we were in a frenzy. Before we managed to drive off, because a small traffic was already building up, some guys rushed to help the victim, but I didn't know the outcome.

Not until this morning when I got the information that the victim that got electrocuted was Oluchi Anekwe a 3oo level student of Accounting on the verge of earning a First Class in her Department. I feel so sad my dear Oluchi. Why has fate dealt you such a cruel blow. The spot of this incident is a very popular one,  students  converge there all the time, meet up,gist, exchange banters etc. Heck I have waited for one colleague or the other at new Hall entrance several times, either for lunch  at the Cafeteria there or to do one activity or another.

 It is such a sad occurrence, a dream has just being cut shut abruptly. I wish her parents and loved ones the fortitude to bear the huge loss.

No comments: